The Archives has student yearbooks, newspapers, and directories, plus archival and manuscript material created during the time of the State Normal School.
Search the library catalog by using the box below to search by keyword or phrase. This search box is already limited to the Archives Department's holdings. Note that these results will include some publications that are available in the Archives, but most of the results will describe archival or manuscript collections.
Note that the boolean operator and is not necessary between keywords.
For example, search "State Normal School" with quotation marks, or search with the words milwaukee normal school
Note some results will include materials dating after 1927, the date of the school's official name change.
If your search doesn't produce relevant results, try again with different keywords, or contact us for help.
A general search hint: when reading any catalog record, follow the links found at "Subjects" to locate other material in the UWM Libraries on that same subject.
In 1880, the Wisconsin state legislature passed a law requiring the Board of Regents of Normal Schools to establish a normal school in Milwaukee. Five years later, in 1885, the Milwaukee State Normal School opened. It was located at Eighteenth and Wells Streets, but in 1909 moved to what is now Mitchell Hall, on Downer Avenue at Kenwood Boulevard. In 1911, Milwaukee State Normal School absorbed both the Milwaukee School of Arts and the Wisconsin School of Fine and Applied Arts. With this merger, the school began offering non-teacher training college courses, but in 1923, the State Normal School Regents decided to discontinue these college courses. By early 1927, the State Normal School Regents had authorized Milwaukee State Normal School to offer four year college curriculums for many of the education degrees. With this authorization, the school had officially become a college, and was renamed Milwaukee State Teachers College.
1880 - State legislature passed law requiring Board of Regents of Normal Schools to establish a normal school in Milwaukee
1885 - Milwaukee State Normal School opened on 18th and Wells Streets
1909 - Normal School moved to new location on Downer Avenue at Kenwood Blvd, in what is now Mitchell Hall.
1911 - First non-teacher training college courses offered
1911 - Milwaukee School of Arts absorbed by the Normal School
1911 - Wisconsin School of Fine and Applied Arts becomes department of Normal School
1923 - College courses discontinued by decision of State Normal School Regents
1926 - Regents authorized four year curriculum leading to degrees in kindergarten-primary education, elementary education, and art and music
1927 - Regents authorized four year curriculum leading to secondary education degree
1927 - The Normal School became the Milwaukee State Teachers College