Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to your Incunabula project guide.
In this guide, you will find everything you need to complete your Incunabula assignment. Take a few minutes to orient yourself to the pages of this guide and what types of resources are available on each page. The pages are ordered from left to right, taking you step-by-step through the smaller tasks involved in your project. We suggest following along in this same order.
Students will review 11 incunables from which they will then pick three to write a 3-5 page assessment paper based on the in-class activity and the following instructions. There are three sections to this paper.
- First, students will describe the physical characteristics of the incunable.
- Second, students will use Search@UW, WorldCat, and ISTC to identify bibliographic information on the chosen incunables.
- Third, students will write a short section on something interesting about the book, its production, or the circumstances of its presence. This last part should be based primarily on the analysis of data found in ISTC..
- Students will be able to describe the physical characteristics of incunables.
- Students will be able to locate bibliographic information by using Search@UW. Additionally, students will be able to identify records, holdings, and further information using the WorldCat database.
- Students will be able to navigate the Incunablua Short Title Catalog in order to discover information on each title, and use this information to construct a historical narrative of the incunable.