The purpose of this guide is to provide a portal to primary and secondary material related to the cultural clash between European peoples with three different non-European cultures: the Mongol Empire, the Aztec Empire and the People of the Congo region in Africa.
This guide should point you to information sources that identify relevant material and help you obtain the items identified.
Given the scope of these themes and the variety of potential research topics, it can't hope to do more than that.
The research process often raises questions just as it provides answers. As questions arise don't hesitate to consult library staff for help. We want to help you work efficiently and get the most out of the library and its collections.
As you begin, ask yourself:
- What language or vocabulary describes the topic?
- What KEYWORDS, related and synonymous terms come to mind?
- Be aware of spelling variations, e.g. Genghis Khan or Chingiz Khan, or Chinggis Khan; name variations, e.g. Hernán or Hernando Cortés
- What sort of material do you want to read or view, i.e. books, articles, images?
- Where will you find "academic" quality material?
- How should you evaluate print and online sources?