Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Career Research Guide:
Table of Contents
Public or Private?
Which type of company are you researching? It makes a big difference!
▪ stock is owned by the public and is traded on the stock market
▪ required to file financial statements and other reports with the SEC
This makes it easy to find a lot of information on public companies.
▪ stock not sold to the general public and does not trade on an exchange
▪ not required to share financial information or other company news
Thus it can be quite difficult to do research on private companies.
UWM Libraries Databases
Hoover's Company Profiles
- Coverage: over 40,000 U.S. & international companies, both public and private.
- Content: Overviews, competitor lists, financial statements (public only) & more.
Nexis Uni: Company Dossier
(formerly LexisNexis Academic)
: over 40 million U.S. & international companies, both public & private.
: Detailed reports: financials (public only), competitors, executives & much more.
Business Source Premier: Company Reports (MarketLine Company Profiles)
- Coverage: 10,000 U.S. & international companies, both public and private.
- Content: Overviews, competitors, & SWOT analyses (for some). No financial statements.
Data Axle Reference Solutions: US Businesses (formerly ReferenceUSA)
: over 20 million U.S. businesses, public and private, as well as nonprofits and other orgs.
: Basic directory information provided; use the Custom Search to generate lists by geography (e.g. zip code), industry and more.
Business Reference E-Books (Gale Virtual Reference Library)
Access a collection of online reference books on marketing, brands, industries, small business and more. See the list below for examples of company research tools included in the collection:
Resources for Local Companies
Open Access Web Sites
Open access web sites for company research: