The Archives has student yearbooks, newspapers, and directories, plus archival and manuscript material created during the time of the Wisconsin State College.
Search the library catalog by using the box below to search by keyword or phrase. This search box is already limited to the Archives Department's holdings. Note that these results will include some publications that are available in the Archives, but most of the results will describe archival or manuscript collections.
Search "Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee" with quotation marks.
Note some results will include materials dating before 1951 and after 1956.
If your search doesn't produce relevant results, try again with different keywords, or contact us for help.
A general search hint: when reading any catalog record, follow the links found at "Subjects" to locate other material in the UWM Libraries on that same subject.
With the addition of the liberal arts degree in 1951 to Milwaukee State Teacher College's academic programs, the school was no longer just a teacher's college, and changed its named to Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee. During its five years under this name, the college opened a campus laboratory school, a campus elementary school, and a new library. In 1955, the Wisconsin state legislature passed a law combining the Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee with the Milwaukee Extension Division. The result of this merger was the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
1951 - Wisconsin State Teacher's College in Milwaukee became Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee
1953 - Campus Laboratory School opened
1954 - New library opened
1954 - Campus Elementary School opened
1955 - Faculty members given professional rank
1955 - Legislature passed measure combining Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Extension Division, into University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 1956.