The Archives has student yearbooks, newspapers, and directories, plus archival and manuscript material created during the time of the Milwaukee State Teachers College.
Search the library catalog by using the box below to search by keyword or phrase. This search box is already limited to the Archives Department's holdings. Note that these results will include some publications that are available in the Archives, but most of the results will describe archival or manuscript collections.
For example, search "State Teachers College" with quotation marks.
Note some results will include materials dating before 1927 or after 1951.
Note that the boolean operator and is not necessary between keywords.
If your search doesn't produce relevant results, try again with different keywords, or contact us for help.
A general search hint: when reading any catalog record, follow the links found at "Subjects" to locate other material in the UWM Libraries on that same subject.
In 1927, the Milwaukee State Normal School became the Milwaukee State Teachers College, and by 1935, all academic programs lasting less than four years were discontinued. The Wisconsin state legislature authorized the college to grant Bachelor's of Science degrees in education in 1937, and enrollment grew exponentially, leading to the construction of many new buildings. Milwaukee State Teachers College granted its first Master's of Education degree in 1945, and in 1951, was authorized by the Wisconsin state legislature to offer liberal arts degrees. The addition of liberal arts degrees to the Milwaukee State Teachers College's academic programs brought about a name change for the school, as it was no longer solely a teachers college. In 1951, the school changed its name to Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee.
1927 - Milwaukee State Normal School became Milwaukee State Teacher's College
1931 - Baker Field House and new heating plant opened for use
1935 - All programs lasting less than four years were discontinued, with the exception of the three-year rural education program
1937 - Wisconsin state legislature authorized Milwaukee State Teachers College to grant Bachelor's of Science degrees in education
1937 - Chapman Hall opened
1939 - Pearse Field football stadium first used
1945 - Master's degree in Education offered
1947 - First Master's of Education degree granted
1951 - All state colleges authorized by Wisconsin state legislature to offer liberal arts degrees
1951 - Became Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee