1. Open Word and click Insert -> Add-ins -> Store.
2. In the box that appears, search for RefWorks.
3. Click on RefWorks Citation Manager, then Trust It in the box that pops up.
4. The RefWorks Citation Manager will launch within Word, and a panel will slide out from the right side of your document. Log in using your RefWorks login info.
1. If it is not already active, activate RefWorks Citation Manager by going to Insert -> Add-ins -> My Add-ins and choosing it from the box that pops up.
2. A panel will slide out from the right side of your document, listing your RefWorks citations!
4. Clicking Cite this will drop an in-text citation into your document where the cursor is! It also automatically generates a bibliography, which will be updated automatically every time you add a new citation. Amazing! (You can drop the bibliography to another page using Insert --> Page Break.)
5. That's it! You have everything you need to use RefWorks with Microsoft Word.
Get the Plugin
From your RefWorks page, go to the "three dots" menu and choose "Tools."
Scroll down to "Cite in Microsoft Word" and click
Add a Citation
Once you have installed Write-N-Cite, open Microsoft Word and click the tab that has been added to your ribbon -- it will be called either "ProQuest" or "RefWorks." Click on “Log In” and enter your RefWorks username and password.
To add your first citation, choose “Insert Citation” and then “Insert New.”
A window pops up allowing you to choose a RefWorks citation from your RefWorks folders.
Click “OK” and the citation is added to your document:
Once you insert a citation, it also gets added to a menu under the “Insert Citation” button so you can re-use it quickly:
Write-N-Cite's Mac version looks a little different but functions identically to the PC version.
Installing Write-N-Cite on a Mac:
First, download Write-N-Cite to your computer. If you have an older version of Write-N-Cite already installed, you may get a pop-up message like the one below when you open Word. To download the latest version of Write-N-Cite, login to your RefWorks account and go to Tools --> Write-N-Cite.
There are two versions of Write-N-Cite available: Mac and Windows. Choose the appropriate version for your computer, and download and install the software. Then, open Microsoft Word.
If you open Microsoft Word and don’t automatically see the Write-N-Cite toolbar at the top left of your screen, go to Help and search for “Write-N-Cite.” This will give you a link to show your WNC toolbar.
Before you login to Write-N-Cite, your toolbar will look like the one below. Click the person icon to enter your RefWorks login information:
Enter your RefWorks account info in the login window. All the sources currently in your RefWorks account will then be downloaded to Write-N-Cite in Word.
Now, your Write-N-Cite toolbar will look like this. You’re ready to write…and cite!
Using Write-N-Cite on a Mac